The secret to refreshing sleep is to wake up naturally after a sustained period of REM. There is wisdom in the old saying that ‘one hour’s sleep before midnight is worth two after.’
We spend about a third of our lives in sleep. Sleep is important on so many levels.
As Leonardo da Vinci said, “…a well-spent day brings happy sleep.”
If only we could sleep like a baby
and get some solid restful sleep.
Short-term insomnia, which is the commonest type of insomnia afflicts as many as one in three people, can be caused by a stressful life event, a poor sleeping environment, and an irregular routine.
Try these 7 simple steps to better sleep:
1. Set up a strict routine involving regular and adequate sleeping times.
2. Devise a relaxing bedtime routine that helps you to wind down before bedtime.
3. Eat a wholesome evening meal with a good balance of protein and complex carbohydrates.
4. Enjoy a hot, non-caffeinated drink such as herbal tea or hot chocolate before going to sleep. In time, your hot drink could serve as a sleeping cue.
5. Sleep in a familiar, dark, and quiet room that is adequately ventilated and neither too hot nor too cold.
6. Exercise regularly. Exercise reduces arousal and anxiety and also helps with other aspects of psychological and physical health.
7. Reduce your overall stress. At the same time, try to do something fulfilling each day.